Veteran and Military Students
Keystone College has long recognized and responded to the needs of the courageous veterans who have served in our nation’s armed forces.
From the admission process to graduation, Keystone welcomes and supports all military veterans, service members, and dependents of those who have served.
Turn Your Military Experience into College Credit!
Keystone College awards credit toward a degree based on military training and coursework and evaluates students’ military experience for transfer credit. Contact us for a credit evaluation.
Flexible learning options
We understand that frequent relocations and deployment can make it difficult for veterans, dependents, reservists, and active duty military students to pursue their educational goals. Keystone provides flexibility by offering courses in day, evening, weekend, and on-line formats that may be blended to create a customized experience to meets your needs.
Freedom to fulfill your military obligations
Your choice to serve should not negatively affect your academic progress at Keystone. Absences resulting from your military service are excused absences. When you need to miss class due to drill or other military obligations, provide a copy of your orders to the Veterans Certifying Official and your instructors will be notified. They will then work individually with you to make up any missed work.
If you are called to active duty or ordered to another military obligation that will result in your need to temporarily stop attending classes for the remainder of a semester, you should contact the Veterans Certifying Official who will assist you with completing a Leave of Absence for Military Service which guarantees your ability to resume your studies once your active service is completed. The Veterans Certifying Official will assist you with both initiating your leave and resuming your studies.
What benefits are available?
There are many benefit programs available to veterans. Visit the official Veterans Affairs website to go through a step-by-step process to get an idea of what benefits are best for you or use the links below to learn more.
Applying to Keystone College
Our staff is here to assist you in choosing a major, using your benefits, registration, and more.
Steps for Enrollment
1. Determine and submit the appropriate application:
- Transfer (already earned at least 12 college credits)
- Graduate (already received a bachelor’s degree)
- Teacher Prep (already received a bachelor’s degree and want to teach in Pa.)
2. Fill out the FAFSA and submit transcripts:
Apply for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. All veterans, active duty members, and dependents should complete the FAFSA each year, regardless of the military benefits they will be receiving.
- Provide official transcripts from previous schools and/or military service to the Admissions Office in order to receive a proper transfer credit evaluation.
- Keystone College’s FAFSA code is 003280.
3. Determine Veterans Education Funding and Benefits:
NOTE: You can complete the application process to the Department of Veterans Affairs while you are completing the admission and enrollment process at the College.
- To determine your eligibility of benefits and to apply for Veterans Education Benefits contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or gibill.va.gov
- If you have applied for Federal Tuition Assistance (TA), provide a copy of your approved TA document to Keystone’s Certifying Official as soon as you receive it. Students who are using TA must receive approval from their Education Service Officer (ESO) prior to enrolling. TA is federal funding and must be considered when determining the actual net cost for Chapter 33 benefits.
- If you are receiving Pennsylvania National Guard Education Assistance Program (EAP) funds, notify the Certifying Official each term/semester you receive an award. Official notice of the award is provided to the Financial Aid Office.
The Department of Veterans Affairs makes the determination on benefit eligibility.
4. Enrollment Certification
- Notify Keystone’s Certifying Official when you have completed the application process and are registered for classes. We cannot certify your enrollment to the VA until you have been accepted to Keystone College and have registered for classes. You may register only for classes that apply to your degree/certificate program in accordance with the College’s catalog.
- Once you receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or a Benefits Award Letter from the VA, provide a copy to Keystone’s Certifying Official immediately. You do not need the COE to register for classes, however, Keystone College’s Certifying Official DOES need the COE to certify your enrollment.
- After you have received your benefits award letter, verify your enrollment monthly on WAVE on the last day of each month. (Not required for Chapter 35 Dependents Education Assistance)
- Register for an eBenefits premium log-in at ebenefits.va.gov.
Programs Approved for Montgomery GI Bill® Benefits
Accountancy MACC (online)
Accounting Principles (online) BS
Business (online or in person) BS
Business Administration (online or in person) BS and AS
Communication Arts BA
Computer Science BS
Criminal Justice MS (online), BS and AS
Criminal Justice/Psychology BS
Data Analytics BS
Digital Media BA
Early Childhood Education (Certification) BS
Early Childhood Education (Non-Certification) BS
Early Childhood Education AS
Early Childhood Education/Special Education BS
Environmental Science BS
Environmental Studies AS
eSport and Gaming Management BS
Financial Planning BS
General Biology BS
Hospitality Business Management BS
Industrial-Organizational Psychology (on-line) BS
Information Technology BS and AAS
Liberal Studies AA
-Concentrations available in Accounting or Health Systems Management
Middle Level Education: Language Arts BS
Middle Level Education: Social Studies BS
Pre-Medical Technology/Biotechnology AS
Pre-Occupational Therapy/Pre-Respiratory Care AS
Pre-Physical Therapy BS
Pre-Radiotherapy/Pre-Medical Imaging/Pre-Ultrasound AS
Public Administration BS
Public Health BS
Public Relations BA
Social Science BS
Special Education BS
Sport and Recreation Management BS
Supply Chain Management BS
Teacher Preparation Programs (Bachelor’s degree required)
-Art Education (Bachelor’s degree in art related field required)
-Early Childhood Education PreK – Grade 4
-Early Childhood/Special Education PreK – Grade 12
-Social Studies Education
Teaching: Mathematics Education (7th – 12th grade) BS
Teaching: Social Studies Education (7th – 12th grade) BS
Wildlife Studies AS
Wildlife Biology BS
Wildlife Biology MS
Customer Service Certificate
Foundations of Business Management
Information Technology for Business
Medical Billing and Coding
Professional Communications Certificate
Priority Veteran Registration
All veterans, service members, and dependent students currently using veterans education benefits, have been granted priority registration by Keystone College. This means registering for upcoming terms beginning on the Friday before students who have achieved senior standing. Veterans, service members, and dependents may schedule classes ahead of students who have achieved senior standing, but once general registration begins, will compete for class spaces along with all other students allowed to register at that time.
In order to exercise this benefit, veterans must contact the College’s Veterans Certifying Official:
Kate Owens, M.L.S.
Associate Dean of Academic Operations and Registrar
Changes in Veteran Enrollment Status
Notify Keystone’s Certifying Official of ALL changes in your enrollment status so that it can be reported to the VA. Please be aware that if you drop or withdraw from classes before the end of a term/semester, you may be in over-payment status and VA may require you to pay back tuition, fees, monthly housing allowance funds that you received prorated for the period you did not complete classes.
VA will determine the overpayment, not the school’s certifying official.
Veterans Admission Counselor
Director of Admissions
Veterans Certifying Official
Kate Owens, M.L.S.
Associate Dean of Academic Operations and Registrar
Contacting the VA
Contact the Veterans Administration with payment questions: 1-888-442-4551
Keystone College has received funding from a local charitable foundation to improve the lives of the men and women who have served their country through military service.
Keystone College has once again been included among a group of colleges and universities that are doing the most to educate and serve our nation’s veterans. For the second consecutive year, Keystone has been listed as a school which is “Best for Vets” by...
Resources and Support for Veterans
The Elmer R. Hawk Center for Veterans
A welcoming spot on campus where you can find camaraderie, along with resources and support.
- Fellow military and veteran students
- Study groups
- Computer lab
- Lounge and kitchen
- Veteran Club
Veterans Stand Together
Veterans Stand Together, a national non-profit, offers vocational programs through Keystone College. All vocational programs will offer credit towards academic degrees. All vocational programs are grant-based and at no cost for those that qualify.
KC Armed Forces Club
KC Armed Forces Club is a campus organization made up of men and women who have been there, done that – just like you. This student-run club enables our student veterans, spouses, dependents and other campus community members to speak with a unified voice.
Building Your Future With the GI Bill®
Regardless of where you are in your education journey, VA has useful information that can help with your next steps:
Free educational and career counseling
Any student who is eligible for the GI Bill® is also eligible for personalized career planning and advice:
- Career counseling to help with civilian or military jobs
- Educational counseling to help find a training program or field of study
- Academic and adjustment counseling to help with address issues or other barriers
- Resume support and goal planning
Academic Support and Counseling
Keystone provides a wide array of academic support services and resources for success, including advising and career services. If you need support, we are willing and able to help you every step of the way.