Middle Level Education: Social Studies
Middle Level Education Social Studies
Become a middle school teacher who and empower students in grades 4-8 to become life-long learners with this specialized teaching degree.
Why study Middle Level Education: Social Studies?
Connect one-on-one with faculty, fellow students, and other professionals through classroom instruction, hands-on learning, and field placements:
- Prepare to work in the education field with children in grades four through eight teaching history, geography, and human society.
- Learn the philosophy of middle level education and effective classroom management strategies.
- Participate in school-based observation and participation each semester and gain real world experience with field experiences beginning with your first semester, pre-student teaching placements, and 14 weeks of student teaching in your last semester.
Receive personalized attention and top-notch instruction in a supportive environment:
- Our Stairs to Success developmental plan for success will guide you through your time at Keystone.
- 92% of students receive financial aid.
- Over 175 scholarships are awarded yearly.
- Elementary School Teacher
- Middle School Teacher
- Social Studies Teacher
- Reading Specialist
- Abington Christian Academy
- Riverside School District
- Scranton School District
- Staunton City Public Schools
Keystone student-to-faculty ratio
increase in jobs over the next 10 years
Median annual salary for middle school teachers
Important Resources for Education Students
Learn how to apply as an Education student. You must be formally accepted into the education program before being permitted to take 3000/4000 level courses.
Teacher Certification Prep
Learn about accelerated programs if you already have your bachelor's degree and want to teach in Pennsylvania.
Learn how high school students interested in early childhood care and those currently working in a the field can gain on the job training and earn college credit.
Early Field Placement
Learn how to succeed in your first, second, and third year placements. Each field participation provides an opportunity to experience life in the classroom.
Learn about student teaching in your senior year. Student teaching takes place in two seven week periods after all academic course work is complete.
Learn the process for clearances. Any education student wishing to participate in a field experience or student teaching must obtain required clearances every year.
Heather Shanks-McElroy, PhD
Jan Kaskey, MS
Jeanie Prall, MS
Karen Arcangelo, PhD, NCSP
Maryellen Tharp, MS
You Belong at Keystone
Become part of the Keystone family!