Introduction to Emergency Management in the U.S.
About the Course
Emergency management is an expanding field and emergency managers play a critical role in protecting communities at the local, state, tribal, and national levels. Receive an overview of emergency management issues, including resource management, emergency operations plans, communication concerns, and the impact of U.S. laws.
- Define emergency management, explain the principles of emergency management, and recognize the various roles and responsibilities of emergency managers
- Identify the laws, authorities, and structures that shape and define emergency management in the U.S.
- Explain the purpose of an emergency operations center (EOC) and describe how and when to activate the EOC
- Describe the components of a mitigation plan
- Identify the six steps of planning and outline an emergency operations plan
- Distinguish between the various types of training and exercises
- Explain the purpose and goal of recovery and identify the short-term and long-term activities that facilitate recovery
- Outline the steps in the Presidential Disaster Declaration process and identify the various kinds of assistance available to emergency managers
Estimated length: 10 hours
Access Time: 180 days
1 CEUs | 10 PDUs
Certificate courses, offered by a trusted partner, are self-paced and can be conveniently accessed anytime and anywhere from a computer with an internet connection. Courses are engaging and include real-world examples, videos, interactive games, assessments, and focused instruction. An "Ask the Expert" feature allows you to pose course-related questions and receive feedback within 24 hours. Courses are accessible, customizable, integrated, printable and mobile-friendly.
Keystone College reserves the right to cancel or postpone any program due to insufficient enrollment or unforeseen circumstances. If a program is canceled, registrants will be notified and a refund will be processed. Requests for refunds for withdrawals must be submitted in writing five days prior to the start of the program. Refunds will not be issued for failure to attend a program.
Interested in more workshops? Check out the Keystone College Professional Development Institute's continuing education and personal enrichment course offerings below: