Creative Writing: Poetry
About this course
Poetry has existed across cultures for thousands of years. We consume poetry in music, in plays, and in numerous different forms and styles. Many people enjoy reading and writing poetry, but analyzing poetry and improving your poetic vocabulary will help you write more effectively and better engage with the poetry you read.
After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Distinguish between formal verse and free verse and recognize the various genres and types of poetry
- Identify the components of a poem, including lines and stanzas
- Hear a poem’s rhythm and formally investigate its meter using scansion
- Use and identify various rhyme schemes
- Recognize and apply different poetic devices, including metaphor and alliteration
- Write your own poetry with confidence, starting with the various writing opportunities and prompts in the course
[icon name=”clock-o” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Estimated length: 1.5 hours
[icon name=”calendar” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Access Time: 90 days
[icon name=”check” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] CEUs: .15
[icon name=”globe” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Delivery: Online
[icon name=”credit-card-alt” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Cost: $29
Keystone College reserves the right to cancel or postpone any program due to insufficient enrollment or unforeseen circumstances. If a program is canceled, registrants will be notified and a refund will be processed. Requests for refunds for withdrawals must be submitted in writing five days prior to the start of the program. Refunds will not be issued for failure to attend a program.