Facebook pixel
APPLY NOW +

Ryan Evans:

A Recent Internship Was The Experience of a Lifetime

Home » Student News » Ryan Evans: A Recent Internship Was The Experience of a Lifetime 

Ryan Evans has high hopes for the future and he’s taking advantage of every possible opportunity to make his dreams come true.

A senior from nearby Nicholson, Pa., Ryan is pursuing a double major in hospitality and communications and would like to pursue a career involving both skills.      

During his time at Keystone, Ryan has been active in the college radio station and the hospitality club while holding down a variety of part-time jobs, including working as a ski instructor at a local resort. However, a recent internship may prove to be his most unique experience as he gets ready to launch his professional career.     

Ryan Evans during his internship

Ryan at his internship with Boka Restaurant Group

“Keystone is a really great school and the people here are wonderfully supportive. Professors know you on a first-name basis and they’re willing to help in whatever way they can. Plus, all the activities I’ve been involved in have really benefited me.”

Ryan Evans

Ryan spent the summer of 2021 working as a hospitality intern with the Boka Restaurant Group in Chicago. Boka is a major player in Chicago’s restaurant and catering scene, owning about 15 upscale eateries and serving a high-end catering clientele. Ryan spent the summer learning the hospitality business from the ground up, doing everything from working as a delivery person and a bartender to helping plan major events. The whole summer proved to be an experience he won’t forget.

“I really loved every minute of my time with Boka,” Ryan said. “It’s a great company with a lot of fantastic people. I learned so much each and every day.”

It was more than his experiences with Boka that made the summer special. Ryan secured his internship through the Chicago Center, a non-profit organization which helps bring young people to Chicago and introduces them to a variety of social, cultural, and entertainment experiences.  Growing up in a mostly rural area, the chance to live, work, and see all that the Windy City has to offer was an education in itself. 

Ryan Evans at his internship

“They really introduced us to every aspect of the city,” Ryan said. “I really loved the diversity and the fact there was always something to do and somewhere to explore. In addition to my work at Boka, I met so many fascinating people from all over the country. I can’t wait to go back again and I’ve encouraged my friends to learn more about the Chicago Center and how it might help them.”

Ryan isn’t exactly sure what his next steps will be after graduation but he knows he’ll leave Keystone with a quality education and significant training in both majors.

“Keystone is a really great school and the people here are wonderfully supportive. Professors know you on a first-name basis and they’re willing to help in whatever way they can. Plus, all the activities I’ve been involved in have really benefited me a lot. When I graduate, I know I’ll miss Keystone but I’m excited to face the next chapter in my life.”