Facebook pixel
APPLY NOW +
Home » Faculty Listing » Joseph Iacovazzi, PhD

Joseph Iacovazzi, Ph.D.

Chair of Biological and Physical Sciences and Mathematics, Assistant Professor of Biology, and Program Director of Environmental Biology, Environmental Studies, and Wildlife Biology

Biological and Physical Sciences and Mathematics | Turock School of Arts and Sciences

Capwell Hall

About

I have always been interested in the biological and environmental sciences. There are so many interesting and unique aspects about the animal kingdom I want to continually learn about. I studied biology for my undergraduate degree in Pennsylvania and moved to Florida for my Master’s Degree in Marine Biology. I had always wanted to study jellyfish and other cnidarians and it was a worthwhile opportunity to do so. During that time, I was also a genetics laboratory assistant and reptiles/amphibians intern at the West Palm Beach Zoo.

For my Ph.D research, I studied parasite-host interactions in caterpillar and wasp species to examine host-manipulation behavior. I have kept insects and arachnids for much of my life as exotic pets and plan to continue researching arthropods.

My research involves host-parasite interactions between the caterpillar Manduca sexta and parasitoid wasp Cotesia congregata. I also enjoy surveying arachnid populations across the American Southwest in Arizona and New Mexico.

Education – Degrees & Certifications

• B.S.: Marywood University, Biology and Environmental Science, 2010
  • M.S.: Nova Southeastern University, Marine Biology, 2012
  • Ph.D: Binghamton University, Biological Sciences: Ecology, Evolution, & Behavior (EEB Track), 2023