Facebook pixel
APPLY NOW +
Home » Faculty Listing » Joseph Iacovazzi, PhD

Joseph Iacovazzi, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor of Biology and Program Director of Environmental Biology, Environmental Studies, and Wildlife Biology

Biological and Physical Sciences and Mathematics | Turock School of Arts and Sciences

Capwell Hall

About

I have always been interested in the biological and environmental sciences. There are so many interesting and unique aspects about the animal kingdom I want to continually learn about. I studied biology for my undergraduate degree in Pennsylvania and moved to Florida for my Master’s Degree in Marine Biology. I had always wanted to study jellyfish and other cnidarians and it was a worthwhile opportunity to do so. During that time, I was also a genetics laboratory assistant and reptiles/amphibians intern at the West Palm Beach Zoo.

For my Ph.D research, I studied parasite-host interactions in caterpillar and wasp species to examine host-manipulation behavior. I have kept insects and arachnids for much of my life as exotic pets and plan to continue researching arthropods.

My research involves host-parasite interactions between the caterpillar Manduca sexta and parasitoid wasp Cotesia congregata. I also enjoy surveying arachnid populations across the American Southwest in Arizona and New Mexico.

Education – Degrees & Certifications

• B.S.: Marywood University, Biology and Environmental Science, 2010
  • M.S.: Nova Southeastern University, Marine Biology, 2012
  • Ph.D: Binghamton University, Biological Sciences: Ecology, Evolution, & Behavior (EEB Track), 2023
  • Botany
  • Evolution
  • Herpetology
  • Mammalogy
  • Spiders and Arachnids
  • Wetland and Riparian Ecology
  • Wildlife and Fisheries Biology