Facebook pixel
APPLY NOW +

Jeremy Collins:

A Very Proud Member of the Class of 2021

Home » Student News » Jeremy Collins: A very proud member of the Class of 2021 

When Jeremy Collins walks across the stage on Monday, May 24 to receive his Keystone College bachelor of science degree in criminal justice, he will finally be able to achieve an important long-time goal.

Jeremy, an adult student from nearby Dupont, Pa. wanted to attend college for several years but the responsibilities of helping to raise his family of four children and succeed in a demanding job always seemed to get in the way. Then, one day, a kindergarten assignment given to his then six-year-old son, Marcus, provided all the motivation he would need.

“Marcus came home from school and told my wife, Kimberly, that his homework for the night was to talk to his parents about the importance of finishing high school and continuing on to college,” Jeremy remembers.

Jeremy Collins on the porch of Alumni Hall

Jeremy Collins at Alumni Hall

“The faculty here is wonderful in so many ways. They care about you and will do whatever it takes for you to do well and meet your goals. In particular, Professors Ray Hayes, Stacey Wyland, Jeff Brauer, Dr. Marie Andreoli and Dr. Michael McDougall really went many extra miles and helped me succeed on my journey.”

Jeremy Collins

Kimberly was able to tell Marcus how she obtained her bachelor’s and master’s degrees and then went on to become a high school teacher. While Jeremy has his state certification as a police officer and is successful in his management position with a company that operates juvenile residential facilities, he was unable to share any advice about with Marcus.

“I knew then it was time to go back to school,” he said.

After obtaining his associate degree from another school, Jeremy came to Keystone in 2019 to pursue his bachelor’s degree. He has succeeded beyond even his own lofty expectations by graduating with honors and receiving Keystone’s Excellence in Criminal Justice Award.

“We get so busy in life that we forget to tell the people around us how much we appreciate them. I want to take this moment to thank everyone in my life for all they’ve done for me. I’m so honored to be a graduate of Keystone College.”

Jeremy Collins

Jeremy Collins in his cap and gown

In addition to his own intelligence and hard work, Jeremy credits members of the Keystone faculty, particularly his criminal justice professors and several others, for giving him the added guidance and inspiration he needed to excel.

“The faculty here is wonderful in so many ways,” Jeremy said. “They care about you and will do whatever it takes for you to do well and meet your goals. In particular, Professors Ray Hayes, Stacey Wyland, Jeff Brauer, Dr. Marie Andreoli and Dr. Michael McDougall really went many extra miles and helped me succeed on my journey.”

Jeremy will be now able to have great stories to tell Marcus and his other children, Emily, Alexandra, and Maxwell. But, don’t get the idea he has any plans on stopping his educational pursuits. He’s going to obtain his master’s degree next. While he’s proud of his efforts, Jeremy is quick to thank his family and the Keystone community for their help.

“We get so busy in life that we forget to tell the people around us how much we appreciate them,” Jeremy explained. “I want to take this moment to thank everyone in my life for all they’ve done for me. I’m so honored to be a graduate of Keystone College.”