Originally from Texas, Dr. Sherry Strain came to Keystone College in the fall of 1988 as the Director of Theatre. After promotion to Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor, she stepped out of the faculty to work directly for the President as the Senior Director of Institutional Effectiveness for three years. When Dr. Strain returned to the faculty, she focused on Communications and is currently the Department Chair for Communication, Arts, and Humanities. In addition, she currently serves as the Chair of Faculty Senate and Chair of the Institutional Review Board.
Education – Degrees & Certifications
- BA in Theatre from West Texas State University (now WTAMU)
- MA in Theatre from the University of Denver
- PhD from Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
One of the best things about Keystone is the diversity of our student body. We bring students from all kinds of backgrounds together on this rural campus and they get to know each other well.
- Interpersonal Communication
- Speech Communication
- Communication Theory
- Communication Ethics
- The Interactive Fan
- Racism and Sexism in the Media
- Gender and Communication
- “Smokescreen,” Palpable Clock: 25 Years of Mulberry Poets. University of Scranton Press. Fall 2004. Also recorded as a Poetry Minute for WVIA-FM.
- “Picking a College Major.” Pennsylvania Family. Vol. 1 No. 3, Feb. 2004.
- “Keeping the Faces of the Students in the Data.” Assessment Update, Vol. 15, No. 2., Mar. 2003.
- Scene from Maid of Honor in The Good Parts: Audition Monologues and Scenes by SIUC Playwrights, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale Department of Theatre, 1997.
- Notable Women of Texas
- Scranton Sunday Times Northeast Woman of the Week
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers
- 2012 Margaretta Belin Chamberlin Chair for Distinguished Faculty Service