Facebook pixel
APPLY NOW +

Ever since she was a small child Bindi (Breana) Liebowitz loved to sing. On Thursday evening, January 15, the Keystone College senior may have the opportunity to demonstrate her talents in front of millions of television viewers on the hit show, American Idol.

Bindi, a communications major from Plainfield, N.J., recently auditioned for American Idol during a segment taped in Brooklyn, N.Y. The show in which she auditioned will air Thursday at 8 p.m. on the FOX network.

While she does know not for sure if her performance will be aired on Thursday, Bindi believes there is about a “90 percent chance” she will appear based on what she knows about the results of her audition. The hopefuls who perform best on Thursday night’s episode will earn a ticket to Hollywood to compete in the next round of competition. Bindi performed two songs during the audition: “Put the Gun Down,” by ZZ Ward and “I’m Goin’ Down” by Mary J. Blige.

Bindi’s appearance on American idol was especially meaningful because she entered the competition to honor mother, Ursula Liebowitz-Johnson, who has been battling cancer. Fortunately, Mrs. Liebowitz-Johnson has responded positively to treatment and is doing very well, Bindi said.

“My audition for American Idol has really been a tribute to my mother, who is my real inspiration,” Bindi said. “It’s been really exciting experience. I was pretty nervous at first but I received a lot of support from my friends and family and that really helped me a great deal. Overall, it’s been incredible.”

Bindi began singing at age six at the encouragement Mrs. Liebowitz-Johnson and began taking voice lessons as a teenager. Growing up, she had – and still has – a special interest in country/soul music. She is well known for her great voice on Keystone’s campus and was the founder of the college’s choral group, “Voices.”