Facebook pixel
APPLY NOW +
Home » Alumni News » Kareem Mickens: Striving to be the Best

Kareem Mickens: Striving to be the Best

May 31, 2023

As a highly talented college athlete, Kareem Mickens was taught never to settle for doing less than his best. Now, as a dedicated entrepreneur, Kareem is striving to excel in the business world by giving it his all.

Kareem Mickens 1Kareem, who graduated from Keystone in 2017 with a bachelor’s degree in business, has taken what he has learned in the classroom, and as a key member of the Keystone College track team, to develop two businesses centered around the sport of track and field.

Kareem started his first venture Sprintman Athletic Apparel in July, 2022 to help provide quality athletic apparel with a unique style that “enables athletes to express themselves and be who they are.”

“I realize there are a lot of athletic apparel brands out there but I wanted to develop a line that would specifically revolve around the sport of track and field,” Kareem said. “With a lot of companies, track and field is sort of a secondary option. For me, this is the sport I know very well and the sport I wanted to focus on exclusively.”

While his apparel company, based in San Antonio, Texas, is only about one year old, Kareem said he has generated traction among all levels of track and field athletes. In fact, he’s come back to the Scranton area to discover local athletes willing to endorse his clothing line.

Recent high school graduates Luke Pikulski of Scranton High School, and Dylan Cassetori of Holy Redeemer High School, recently signed Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) deals with Sprintman as they continue their academic and athletic careers.

“I helped train both Luke and Dylan while they were in high school and discovered that in addition to being excellent at high school student-athletes, they were dedicated and high-character individuals. That is exactly the combination of qualities I am seeking as I launch this new venture.”

Kareen Mickens 2But, Sprintman is not the only business Kareem has started. His newest company, “Chase Your Dreemz Athletics,” centers on training track and field athletes to maximize their potential as they develop their competitive aspirations at every level, including athletes training for the Olympics.

“I’ve dedicated my life to the sport of track and field. I have a passion for this sport and I’m fortunate enough to be able to pass some of my knowledge and experience on to other highly dedicated and skilled athletes. I look forward to doing that every day,” Kareem said.

At Keystone, the Brooklyn, N.Y. native starred as a track and field stand-out and then continued as a Keystone assistant coach for two years after graduating. In addition to his business ventures, he’s also training for a spot on the Olympic team for his native country of Liberia.

“I’ve always been the type of person who wants to solve problems. I want to seek solutions rather than just accepting things the way they are. That’s what drives me, the chance to excel and to help others excel as well,” Kareen said.

While he has accomplished much since his college days, including running professionally in Europe, Kareem says his Keystone business degree, plus his track and field experience, has provided the foundation for his success.

“I’d really advise college students, and really everyone, to set their sights high,” Kareem said. “Nothing is impossible. It just hasn’t been done yet.”