Facebook pixel
Home » Keystone Supports Our Veterans » Steps to Enrollment for Veterans

Steps to Enrollment for Veterans

Veteran Application Process

1. Determine and submit the appropriate application:

  • Freshman
  • Transfer (already earned at least 12 college credits)
  • Graduate (already received a bachelor’s degree)
  • Teacher Prep (already received a bachelor’s degree and want to teach in Pa.)

2. Fill out the FAFSA

Apply for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.  All veterans and dependents should complete the FAFSA each year, regardless of the military benefits they will be receiving.

  • Provide official transcripts from previous schools and/or military service to the registrar’s office in order to receive a proper transfer credit evaluation.

3. Determine Veterans Education Funding and Benefits

NOTE: You can complete the application process to the Department of Veterans Affairs while you are completing the admission and enrollment process at the College.

  • To determine your eligibility of benefits and to apply for Veterans Education Benefits contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or gibill.va.gov
  • If you have applied for Federal Tuition Assistance (TA), provide a copy of your approved TA document to Keystone’s Certifying Official as soon as you receive it.  Students who are using TA must receive approval from their Education Service Officer (ESO) prior to enrolling. TA is federal funding and must be considered when determining the actual net cost for Chapter 33 benefits.
  • If you are receiving Pennsylvania National Guard Education Assistance Program (EAP) funds, notify the Certifying Official each term/semester you receive an award. Official notice of the award is provided to the Financial Aid Office.

The Department of Veterans Affairs makes the determination on benefit eligibility.

4. Enrollment Certification

  • Notify Keystone’s Certifying Official when you have completed the application process and are registered for classes. We cannot certify your enrollment to the VA until you have been accepted to Keystone College and have registered for classes. You may register only for classes that apply to your degree/certificate program in accordance with the College’s catalog.
  • Once you receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or a Benefits Award Letter from the VA, provide a copy to Keystone’s Certifying Official immediately. You do not need the COE to register for classes, however, Keystone College’s Certifying Official DOES need the COE to certify your enrollment.
  • After you have received your benefits award letter, verify your enrollment monthly on WAVE on the last day of each month. (Not required for Chapter 35 Dependents Education Assistance)
  • Register for an eBenefits premium log-in at ebenefits.va.gov.

Changes in a Veteran’s Enrollment Status

Notify Keystone’s Certifying Official of ALL changes in your enrollment status so that it can be reported to the VA. Please be aware that if you drop or withdraw from classes before the end of a term/semester, you may be in over-payment status and VA may require you to pay back tuition, fees, monthly housing allowance funds that you received prorated for the period you did not complete classes. VA will determine the overpayment, not the school’s certifying official. Student debt will be owed to the VA. Students must comply ASAP with the instructions in any debt letter they receive.

Contact Us

Veteran's Certifying Official

Kate Owens, M.L.S.
Associate Dean of Academic Operations and Registrar
Ph. 570.945.8300

Contact the VA

Contact the Veteran’s Administration with payment questions: 1-888-442-4551