Learn about the microbial world and how microorganisms interact with each other and other living and nonliving components of their environments.
Why Study Microbiology?
Connect one-on-one with faculty, fellow students, and other professionals through classroom instruction, hands-on learning, and internships:
- Study the shape, morphology, genetic and metabolic processes that occur in microscopic and sub-microscopic organisms.
- Learn about bacteriology, virology, immunology, biotechnology, industrial microbiology, public health microbiology, environmental microbiology, and genetic engineering.
- Participate in a foundational experience focused on microorganisms through extensive classroom instruction, guided laboratory experiences, and independent research experiences.
Receive personalized attention and top-notch instruction in a supportive environment:
- Our Stairs to Success developmental plan for success will guide you through your time at Keystone.
- 92% of students receive financial aid.
- Over 150 scholarships are awarded yearly.
Keystone student-to-faculty ratio
increase in jobs over the next 10 years
Median annual salary for environmental careers
What can I do with a Microbiology degree?
Graduates of the program will be prepared to work in hospitals, universities, medical schools, and government laboratories. Technical, research, and clinical careers exist in many different industries such as medicine, agriculture, nutrition, biotechnology, and more.
- Coral Reef Labs
- Focus Laboratories
- Sanofi Pasteur
- Clinical Immunologist
- DNA Technoligist
- Fermentation Technologist
- Quality Control Analyst
- Research Scientist
Amazing opportunities—on campus and beyond
From internships and experiential learning opportunities to travel and conferences, you’ll have many opportunities to conduct real-world experiences, work with your peers and mentors in your chosen field, and learn first-hand the latest skills to succeed in the real world.
Participate in a foundational experience focused in the biological, environmental, and chemical sciences through extensive classroom instruction, guided laboratory experiences, and independent research experiences.
Connect with professionals through hands-on learning and internships such as: Geisinger Health Systems, Sanofi Pasteur, and Merck.
Kayleigh Delfino, MPH
Jessica Faux, PhD
Erin Johnson, MPH
Youyu Phillips, PhD
Patrick M. Ratchford, PhD
Vicki A. Stanavitch, PhD
You Belong at Keystone
Become part of the Keystone family!