DATE: October 12, 2021
POSITION: Assistant Director of Residence Life
REPORTS TO: Assistant Vice President of Student Life
WORK SCHEDULE: Days, some evenings and weekends.
JOB PURPOSE: The Assistant Director (AD) is responsible for overseeing a residential community which may house 50 -140 students. The AD provides leadership and support to the Area Coordinators (AC’s), Resident Assistants (RA’s) and the Senior Resident Assistants (SRA’s); administrative management in the areas of security, housing, programming, and judicial affairs; supervision to the Area Coordinators (AC’s) Resident Assistants (RA’s) and Senior Resident Assistant (SRA) staff. This is a 12-month position which requires on-campus living.
Responsibilities of the Position
- Provide supervision and leadership to the Area Coordinators and the paraprofessional staff of 19 Resident Assistants and 5 Senior Resident Assistants on campus.
- Oversee a residential community which may house 50 -140 students.
- Coordinate the recruitment, interviewing and training of the Resident Assistant staff with the rest of the Residence Life department.
- Conduct monthly RA staff meetings and/or in-services for distribution of information, discussion of building issues, student issues, training and other important campus information.
- Manage and deal with staff problems and issues in an effective manner.
- Be able to deliver continuous feedback and support to professional and student staff regarding job performance.
- Coordinate the departmental paraprofessional staff evaluation and evaluate student staff in the assigned area.
- Perform a variety of administrative duties, including but not limited to, weekly reports, room assignments, check in/out procedures and accessing all hall/room damage charges.
- Report any building concerns or issues to Facilities via a work request.
- Participate in planning, implementing and evaluating residence hall policies and procedures.
- Serve as an on-call administrator for the campus at least once a week and one weekend a month.
- Hold office hours in the Residence Life Office.
- Represent Residence Life at New Student Orientations (NSO’s) and Open Houses and schedules Area Coordinators for Orientations, Open Houses, Commencement, and other campus activities as deemed appropriate by the Assistant Vice President of Student Life.
- Attend any professional training sessions as required by the Assistant Vice President of Student Life.
- Develop and maintain cooperative working relations with staff from the Counseling Center, Campus Safety, Student Activities and Admissions.
- Maintain the Office of Residence Life’s webpage, Facebook page and RA tab in MyKC.
- Any other tasks as deemed necessary by the Assistant Vice President of Student Life.
- Assist with special projects or programs within the Office of Residence Life.
- Serve as a point of contact for jump start and SPARK students.
Residential Community Role:
- Be available and visible for your residents
- Serve as a resource for accurate information regarding the college.
- Spend time getting to know the residents of your building through participating in building programs or attending college events
- Provide crisis intervention support and follow-up for students
- Provide initial counseling for students with academic or personal concerns; make referrals if appropriate
- Maintain a clean, healthy, and inviting environment in the residence halls.
- Inform and educate students of their rights and responsibilities in the residence halls with regards to policies and procedures concerning the Student Code of Conduct and consequences for violations
- Meet with students regarding behavioral issues and violations of residence hall and college policy
- Communicate and follow-up with Housekeeping and Facilities on maintenance needs or concerns
- React in an appropriate manner to situations occurring in the residence halls
Assistant Director Role:
- Create Area Coordinator, Coach and Assistant Director on-call schedule.
- Work with the SRA’s to create the Resident Assistant (RA and SRA) on-duty schedule.
- Act as the faculty liaison to develop and implement living-learning communities in the residence halls
- Coordinate Resident Assistant search, interviewing and selection
- Plan fall and spring Resident Assistant staff training
- Coordinate with key offices to help in the training of the Area Coordinators, Coaches and Resident Assistant Staff
- Oversee the residence life budget and prepare budget proposals for each fiscal year
Summer Camps and Conferences:
- Serve as a liaison between Residence Life and summer camps and conferences
- Keep records, requests and scheduling of the residence halls for incoming groups
- Prepare residence halls and distribute keys
- Assist with check-in / check-out of the different groups
Other Duties / Tasks:
- Perform related duties as assigned or required to fulfill the College or departmental goals and objectives
- Maintain a visible presence on campus outside of regularly scheduled office hours
- Any other tasks assigned by the Assistant Vice President of Student Life.
- Master’s degree preferred
- Residence life live-in experience required.
- On-campus living required; must be available to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, on-call.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and good communication.
Please send resume, cover letter, and names, addresses & phone numbers of three professional references to: Human Resources * Keystone College * One College Green * La Plume, PA 18440-1099 * email: email@example.com
- Competitive Salary
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Tuition Remission
- Paid Sick/Vacation Time