“I enjoy teaching at Keystone College. It is my extended family. The professors and students care about each other and students get individual attention. I am blessed to work with my wonderful colleagues and that Keystone College supports my research.”
Dr. Youyu Phillips has passion in teaching mathematics and its history to help students reach their highest learning potential. She has presented various papers around the world including but not limited to places such as the USA, China, Japan, South Korea, Greece, and Australia. Outside academia, she has been the President of Chinese American Association of Northeastern Pennsylvania in the United States since 2012. She has also been a translator for English to Chinese for Blog Talk Radio.com, Voice of Hope, January 2015 to May 2017.
Education – Degrees & Certifications
- Ph.D. in Chemistry (Area of Concentration: Electrochemistry-A branch of Physical Chemistry which is applied mathematics), University of Ottawa, Canada
- M.S. in Mathematics, Wilkes University, Pennsylvania, USA
- M.S. in Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics-A branch of Physical Chemistry which is applied Mathematics, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, China
- Certificate in Chemistry, Shanghai Normal University Fengxian Campus, Shanghai, China
Dr. Youyu Phillips presents internationally.
- “The Use of Technology in Mathematics Education” at the Second International Conference on Education Technology and Computer, in Shanghai, China, on June 24, 2010
- “Mathematics Education and Mathematics Competition” in Athens, Greece, on June 30, 2014.
- Will chair and present at the World Day Conference in the forum of International Collaborations in Education in Dalian, China on September 27, 2017.
- Mathematics throughout History
- College Algebra
- College Mathematics
- Mathematics Education and Methods (Secondary)
- Calculus I
- Calculus II
- Calculus III
- Differential Equations
- AP reader in Calculus, Colorado State University (2005 and 2006), Louisville Convention Center (2007)
- Teaching and Research Assistant, University of Ottawa, Canada (Sept. 1990 – Dec. 1993)
Received honorable mention award for excellent performance of laboratory demonstrations Researched Surface Electrochemistry of various electrodes, kinetics and anodic bromine formation at Platinum Silver and Gold electrodes
- Teaching and Research Assistant, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada (Sept. 1988 – Dec. 1989)
Demonstrated experimental techniques in General Chemistry Laboratories Researched aluminum alloy corrosion using cyclic voltammetry
- Research Assistant, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, China (Sept. 1983 – July 1986)
Demonstrated laboratory techniques Researched and designed a new Teflon isothermal calorimeter
- “Teaching Statistics through Baseball Data and Excel”
YouyuPhillips (Poster Presenter), ASC 2014, Sydney, Australia, Monday, July 7, 2014
- “Mathematics Education and Mathematics Competition”
Youyu Phillips (Presenter), Athens, Greece, Monday, June 30, 2014
Athens: ATINER’S Conference Paper Series, No: EMS2014-1084. https://www.atiner.gr/papers/EMS2014-1084.pdf
- “Bilingual Mathematics Education and Mathematical Olympiads”
Youyu Phillips (Presenter), Athens, Greece, Monday, June 17, 2013
ATINER’S Conference Paper Series, No: MAT2013-0472 https://www.atiner.gr/papers/MAT2013-0472.pdf
全美中文学校协会, CSAUS 第9次全国大会. Cincinnati, OH. December 8, 2012, 演讲组别: 文化教学与语言教学 https://www.csaus.net/conferences/9th/C1-PA-You.ppt
- “Statistical Methodology with Calculators and Microsoft Excel”
YouyuPhillips (Poster Presenter), ASC 2012, Adelaide, Australia, Tuesday, July 10, 2012
- (Book Review) “Alexander Karp and Bruce R. Vogeli (eds): Russian mathematics education: history and world significance. Series on mathematics education”
YouyuPhillips, (Springer International Journal of Mathematics Education) ZDM: Volume 44, Issue 3 (2012), Page 453-455
Available electronically on SpringerLink https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11858-012-0413-2
- “Mathematics as a Progressive Role in Education and Training”
Youyu Phillips (Speaker), the PSMATYC math conference on October 23, 2010
at Harrisburg Central Pennsylvania’s Community College (HACC).
- “The Use of Technology in Mathematics Education”
(Part I) Youyu Phillips (Speaker and Session Chair), Second International Conference on Education Technology and Computer,
Shanghai, China, June 24, 2010. ICETC2010 Proceedings, Volume 1, pages 499-503(Part II) was presented at the International Conference on Educational Interfaces between Mathematics and Industry in Lisbon, Portugal for on October 14, 2011.
- “The Art of Chinese Abacus”
(Part I) Youyu Phillips (Speaker), Roy Phillips and Mingchun Du, The Joint Mathematics Meeting of the KMS and AMS. Seoul, Korea. December 17, 2009.
(Part II) was presented at Saint Joseph University for Mathematics Awareness Day on April 21, 2011.
Dr. Youyu Phillips was the Invited Guest Speaker of Department of Mathematics at Saint Joseph University.
- “Application of Differential Equations for Natural Sciences and More”
Youyu Phillips (Speaker), The International Conference on Applied Analysis and Scientific Computation. Shanghai, China. June 25, 2009
- “My Report and Thoughts about December’s CSAUS Conference in Chicago”
Youyu Phillips, the Dawn Quarterly, page 35, Volume 10, April 2009.
- “Chinese and English Bilingual Mathematics”
YouyuPhillips (Speaker), the US-China Joint Conference – the CSAUS Conference, December 13, 2008, Chicago, Illinois
- “Enhancing Teacher Quality in Mathematics Education”
Youyu Phillips (Speaker), the National Conference – Math Rocks at Split Rock, November 7, 2008, Lake Harmony, Pennsylvania
- “Preserving Minority Cultural Diversity in Western China”
Youyu Phillips (Speaker), the International Conference in Xian, China, on July 23, 2008.
- “Understanding and Valuing Differences between Chinese and American Cultures”
Youyu Phillips (Speaker), the National Conference on Race & Ethnicity in American Higher Education (NCORE 2008). May 29, Orlando, Florida.
- “From Chinese Mathematics to Calculus and Beyond”
Youyu Phillips (Speaker), the Joint Meeting of AMS and MAA at the San Diego Convention Center on January 6, 2008. San Diego, CA.
- “Environment, Energy and Natural Resources of China, Cooperation with the Silk Road Countries and the USA”
Youyu Phillips (Speaker), Proceedings of ICM 2007, Globalization Challenge and Management Transformation, Volume 3,
pages 1655-1660, ISBN 978-7-900224-38-5. Wuhan, Hubei, China, August 5, 2007.
- “International Trade between China, Other Silk Road Countries and the USA”
Youyu Phillips (Speaker), CES 2007 International Conference: Economic Transition, Regional Growth, and Sustainable Development, Changsha, Hunan, China, July 28, 2007.
- “Euler’s Symbols and Standardized Modern Mathematics Notations”
Youyu Phillips (Speaker), 2007AMS Special Session on History of Mathematics on Leonhard Euler’s Tercentenary, Hoboken, NY, Sunday, April 15, 2007.
- “Calculus of Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics”
Youyu Phillips (Speaker), 2007 Joint Mathematics Meetings of AMS (American Mathematical Society) and MAA (Mathematical Association of America), January Abstract #1023-L5-703, New Orleans Meeting Program of Joint Mathematics Meetings in Notices of the AMS, page 169, New Orleans, LA, Monday, January 8, 2007.
- “The United States Investment in China and Relevant Mathematical Applications”
Youyu Phillips, the Keystone College Concerts and Lecture Series, President’s Dining Room, Keystone College, La Plume, PA, Thursday, November 9, 2006
- “Trade between China, India and the USA as Energy Demand and Demographic Characteristics Evolve”
Youyu Phillips (Speaker), PACE 2006 International Workshop and Summer Camp for Environmental and Resource Economists, PACE 2006 Workshop Journal, pages 111-143, Qingdao, Shandong, China, July 18-21, 2006.
- “Rapid Growth of China, Competition with India, and Effects on the Economy of the USA”
Youyu Phillips (Speaker), the International Conference “CES2006 Governing Rapid Growth in China: Efficiency, Equity and Institutions” in Shanghai, July 2-4, 2006.
- “China and India: Partners or Competitors?”
Prabhat Kumar, Youyu Phillips (Speakers), and Jim West (Moderator), 31st Annual Great Decisions Foreign Affairs Lecture Series, YWCA Bethlehem, PA, USA, March 29, 2006.
- “Hydro Thermal and Mechanical Energies with Their Environmental Impacts”
YouyuPhillips (Speaker), 4th International and 6th Japan-China Joint Symposium on Calorimetry and Thermal Analysis, Program on October 7 Friday 16:00PM B11:
https://www.chem.kindai.ac.jp/cats2005/, Fukuoka, Japan, October 7, 2005.
- “Getting Students to Discuss Mathematics”
Youyu Phillips (Speaker), Joint Meeting of American Mathematical Society and Mathematical Association of America. Atalanta, GA, January Abstract
#1003-A1-902, Atlanta Meeting Program of Joint Mathematics Meetings, page 32, 2:30PM (733), Thursday, January 6, 2005.
- “Chemistry Laboratory Experiments”
YouYu Phillips, Department of Biology, Chemistry and Health Sciences, Wilkes University, Wilkes-Barre, PA, Spring 2002.
- “Physical Chemistry Laboratory Experiments”
YouYu Phillips & Howard Swain, Department of Biology, Chemistry and Health Sciences, Wilkes University, Wilkes-Barre, PA, Copyright 2000.
- “Surface Electrochemistry and Kinetics and Anodic Bromine Formation at Platinum”
Brian E. Conway, YouYu Phillips and Shiyuan Qian, J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans., 91(2), 283-293, 1995.
- “Kinetics and Mechanisms of Anodic Bromine Formation Reaction”
YouYu Phillips (Speaker and section vice-Chairperson) and Brian E. Conway, The Electrochemical Society Honolulu International Symposia, May 16-21, 1993.
- “Theoretical Modification and Calculations of Mixing Properties from the van der Waals Equation”
YouYu and Ying Hu, Journal of Shanghai Institute of Education, 4, 58, 1987.
- “A New Teflon Isothermal Dilution Calorimeter”
Jindan Bao, YouYu, Youzhen Xie and Ying Hu, Acta Physico-Chimica Sinica, 3, 534, 1987.
- “Experimental Design of the Isothermal Calorimetry”
Jindan Bao, YouYu (Speaker), Youzhen Xie and Ying Hu, the China-Japan Joint Symposium on Calorimetry and Thermal Analysis, November, 1986.
- Recognized in May 2017 for fifteen years of dedication and service to Keystone College.
- KAI (Keystone Anime Intelligence) Club Advisor since 2013.
- Created the course “Mathematics throughout History” at Keystone College in 2003.