Facebook pixel
APPLY NOW +

Graduation Year: 1943

Major: Engineering

Most Memorable Keystone Moment:
My most memorable moment occurred shortly after 1 p.m. on Monday, December 8, 1941 in Capwell Hall when our physics professor placed a radio on his desk so that we could hear President Roosevelt respond to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Immediately after FDR spoke and declared War on Japan, the professor stood before us with tears running down his face. One of our classmates asked him what was wrong and I shall never forget his answer, “Gentleman, please excuse my loss of composure, my tears are shed because many of you will be called into the service and some of you will never return.” This compassionate professor slowly sat down in his chair and said, “Class dismissed for today.” I am sorry to say the professor was correct, one never came home.

What are you doing now?
Less than one year ago, I retired form the telephone industry after being involved for 62 years in a management capacity. I continue to be very busy by serving on two advisory boards at Millersville University, playing tenor sax in an 18 piece big band, showing two antique cars at meets, and most of all, greeting visitors from around the world who have come to visit the Ron Frisbie Historic Radio Museum.

Most interesting life experience:
Two come to mind: The first occurred on January 20, 1941 when I played trumpet in a band at FDR’s Inaugural parade in Washington D.C. The band was organized in Scranton by the government under the CCC for young people who couldn’t find employment. The second occurred on April 25, 1945, when our unit, The Fighting 69 Division of the U.S. Army met the Russians on the Elbe River which split Nazi Germany in half and dooming its fate.

Family:
My wife Jan and I have been married for 62 wonderful years. We were blessed with four devoted sons, eight grandchildren, and four great grandchildren.

What Do You Hope To Be Doing In The Future?
Someone said, When your memories exceed your dreams, the End is near. I therefore attempt to set my memories aside and concentrate on dreaming what I will be doing tomorrow, next week and the coming year!

Message to the students of today:
An education has always been important, but today it is an absolute necessity for survival in this 21st century. I must tell each student that the most important thing that they should do in addition to having a good education is to start a hobby at an early age. I predict, this will extend your life expectancy by at least ten years!