Applying for your Direct Loan
Students will need to complete a Master Promissory Note in order to apply for a Direct Loan. Below is a list of the information that you will need and the steps you should take to apply for the MPN.
What You Will Need
Approximately 30 minutes to complete
MPN must be completed in a single session, be sure you allow enough time to complete.
Your Federal Student Aid PIN
If you do not have a Federal Student Aid PIN please visit www.pin.ed.gov
- Permanent Address
- Mailing Address (if different from permanent address)
- Telephone Number
- Email Address
- Employer Name
- Employer Address
Two References: Information for two people you have known for at least 3 years.
The first reference should be a parent or a legal guardian.
- Reference Names
- Reference Addresses
- Reference Telephone Number
- Reference Relationship to student
Steps to Complete the Process
Now that you have all of the information you need; please apply the steps below to complete the process.
- Log onto www.Studentloans.gov and sign in using your pin number. The sign in tab can be found in the upper left under the Manage my Direct Loan box..
- Once you sign in the Master Promissory Note (MPN) box can be found in the lower left hand column. There you can click on the Complete MPN and then click on Print MPN to obtain a copy for your records.
- For those students that must also complete their Entrance Loan Counseling; you will find an Entrance Loan Counseling Box under the Master Promissory Note box.