Keystone College Policies
Fire Safety Policies
WHEN AN ALARM SOUNDS, EVACUATE THE BUILDING IMMEDIATELY!!
(Failure to evacuate in a timely and orderly manner may lead to disciplinary action!)
- Feel your room door or doorknob. If either is hot, DO NOT OPEN! Call Campus Safety, extension 2777 and signal rescue personnel from your window.
- Take keys, shoes and a towel, if possible. WALK – DO NOT RUN – to the nearest safe exit. MAKE SURE YOU CLOSE YOUR DOOR BEHIND YOU!
- Do not enter areas if thick or heavy smoke is present.
- Exit the building and go immediately to the location designated by the residence life staff in the building.
- DO NOT RETURN to your room or building until told to do so by Campus Safety or a residence life staff member.
Procedures for Reporting Fires or Other Emergencies:
Building fire emergencies are reported through the automatic detection and suppression system OR the manual alarm system. Alternatively, fires may be reported through the campus emergency number 8989 or 911. In the event a fire or smoke situation is identified, individuals are instructed to ACTIVATE THE MANUAL FIRE ALARM SYSTEM AND LEAVE THE BUILDING BY THE CLOSEST EXIT THEN REPORT TO THE DESIGNATED BUILDING RALLY POINT. Building doors and windows will be CLOSED when evacuating for fire purposes. Building coordinators are responsible for accountability and management of rally points.
The college is very concerned about the safety and well being of its students. In the event of a fire, if any of the following items are found in the residence hall rooms and found to be the origin of the fire, the student(s) responsible may be suspended or expelled from the Residence Halls. If the fire causes major damage, the student(s) may be suspended or expelled from the College. If a resident has a specific question about an item, they should contact a Residence Assistant or Resident Director. Residence Life will conduct random and unannounced safety inspections throughout the course of the year. At least two (2) safety inspections will be conducted each semester.
The following items are not permitted in residence hall room under any circumstances:
- Ordinary Household Extension Cords
- Power strip without surge protectors
- Holiday lights (including rope lights)
- Halogen Lamps
- Toaster Ovens
- Electric Frying Pans
- Hot Plates
- Indoor Grills
- Open Burners
- Covering light fixtures
- Candles (Burned or Decorative)
- Electric Potpourri Burners
- George Foreman Grills
- Black Lights
- Lava Lamps
- Refrigerators larger than 2.0 ft.
- More than one (1) refrigerator per room
- Coffee makers without auto shut-off
- Microwaves (except in Micro fridge unit)
Misuse or Abuse of Fire Safety Equipment
False fire alarms are considered serious violations; therefore, in cases where false alarms occur in a specific residence hall and the responsible party is not found, all students in that hall will be fined accordingly. The College prohibits tampering with fire extinguishers, smoke or heat detectors and
residence hall safety screens. For anyone found in violation of this policy, disciplinary action will be taken.
Campus Safety Department