Application and Enrollment Checklist for Veterans
Veterans Education Benefits
Forms can be completed on www.gibill.va.gov, Veterans Online Application. A copy should be printed out and given to Keystone College's Certifying Official.
1. Determine your eligibility.
- Contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551.
- Visit the GI Bill web site for benefit comparison information.
- Consider all chapter benefit options before making a decision on which benefit to apply for.
- If you are eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) and another chapter benefit, make sure you understand the implications of applying for one or the other.
- Keystone College's Certifying Official can provide basic benefit information but cannot make the decision for you.
2. Apply for Veterans Education Benefits
- Veteran who did not use benefits previously: VA Form 22-1990,
Provide a copy of DD From 214, member copy 4; or Notice Of Basic Eligibility (DD Form 2384) (if required)
- Dependent who did not use benefits previously: VA Form 22-5490, Apply using veteran’s file number, not SSN
- Dependent who received transferred benefits:VA Form 22-1990E, Provide a copy of transferability paperwork from the DoD web site
- Child applying for Fry Scholarship: VA Form 22-5490
3. Previously used benefits at another school or in another training program
- Veteran: VA Form 22-1995
- Dependent: VA Form 22-5495
- Spouse or child who received transferred benefits: VA From 22-1995
- Spouse or child receiving Fry Scholarship: VA From 22-1995
4. Complete the application process at Keystone College.
5. Notify Keystone's Certifying Official when you have completed the application process and registered for classes. The SCO cannot certify your enrollment to the VA until you have been accepted to Keystone College and registered for classes. You may register only for classes that apply to your degree/certificate/diploma program in accordance with the College’s catalog. SCO certifies enrollment in VAONCE.
6. Register for an eBenefits premium log-in at www.ebenefits.va.gov.
7. Obtain Official copies of transcripts from previous schools and/or military service and provide them to Keystone College so they can be evaluated for credit for prior training.
8. Apply for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov. All veterans and dependents should apply for financial aid. Veterans education benefits are no longer considered when figuring Title IV financial aid.
9. If you are applying for Federal Tuition Assistance (TA), provide a copy of your approved TA document to Keystone's Certifying Official and Student Business Services as soon as you receive it. TA is considered federal funding and must be considered when the SCO determines actual net cost for Chapter 33 benefits.
10. If you are receiving National Guard Education Assistance Program (EAP) funds, notify the school Certifying Official each term/semester you receive an award letter found on the PHEAA website.
11. Notify Keystone's Certifying Official of ALL changes in your enrollment status ASAP. SCOs must report all enrollment changes to the VA.
Please be aware that if you drop or withdraw from classes before the end of a term/semester, you may be in over-payment status and VA may require you to pay back tuition, fees, monthly housing allowance funds that you received prorated for the period you did not complete classes. VA will determine the overpayment, not the SCO. Student debt will be to the VA. Students must comply ASAP with the instructions in any debt letter they receive.
12. When you receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or a Benefits Award Letter from the VA, provide a copy to Keystone's Certifying Official immediately. You do not need the COE to register for classes. Keystone's Certifying Official does not need the COE to certify your enrollment but they do need a copy when you receive it.
13. After you have received your benefits award letter, verify your enrollment monthly on WAVE the last of the day of each month. (Not required for Chapters 33 and 35)
14. Keep your address current with the Certifying Official and the VA. To change your address with the VA, call 1-888-442-4551 or change it on WAVE or eBenefits.
15. Keep your direct deposit information current with the VA. Update direct deposit information on WAVE, eBenefts or call 1-877-838-2778.
16. Contact the VA with payment questions: 1-888-442-4551 or use “Ask A Question” on the GI Bill web site.