Application and Enrollment Checklist for Veterans

Veterans Education Benefits
Forms can be completed on, Veterans Online Application. A copy should be printed out and given to Keystone College's Certifying Official.

1. Determine your eligibility.

2. Apply for Veterans Education Benefits

3. Previously used benefits at another school or in another training program

4. Complete the application process at Keystone College.

5. Notify Keystone's Certifying Official when you have completed the application process and registered for classes. The SCO cannot certify your enrollment to the VA until you have been accepted to Keystone College and registered for classes.  You may register only for classes that apply to your degree/certificate/diploma program.

6. Obtain Official copies of transcripts from previous schools and/or military service and provide them to Keystone College so they can be evaluated for credit for prior training.

7. Apply for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at  All veterans and dependents should apply for financial aid.  Veterans education benefits are no longer considered when figuring financial aid.

8. If you are applying for Federal Tuition Assistance (TA), provide a copy of your approved TA document to Keystone's Certifying Official and Student Business Services as soon as you receive it.  Active duty students receiving TA must send an approved copy of their TA document to the Buffalo Regional Processing Office immediately upon receipt.

9. If you are receiving National Guard Education Assistance Program funds, notify the school Certifying Official each term/semester you receive an award letter.

10. Notify Keystone's Certifying Official of ALL changes in your enrollment status ASAP.  SCOs must report all enrollment changes to the VA.

11. When you receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or a Benefits Award Letter from the VA, provide a copy to Keystone's Certifying Official immediately.  You do not need the COE to register for classes. Keystone's Certifying Official does not need the COE to certify your enrollment but they do need a copy when you receive it.

12. After you have received your benefits award letter, verify your enrollment monthly on WAVE the last of the day of each month. (Not required for Chapters 33 and 35)

13. Keep your address current with the Certifying Official.  Keep your direct deposit information current with the VA.  Update direct deposit information on WAVE or call 1-877-838-2778.

14. Contact the VA with payment questions:  1-888-442-4551 or use “Ask A Question” on the GI Bill web site.