Social Security Numbers

International students need a social security number to work in the U.S. and to apply for a driver’s license. International students who will be doing work study on campus or working at an approved off campus job will need to apply for a social security number.

When should I apply and how long will it take?
You must wait 10 days after your arrival in the U.S. to submit your application. You will receive your social security card by mail printed with your number in approximately 4 weeks.

Where should I apply?
The Social Security Office is located at 400 Lackawanna Ave. 1st floor, Scranton across from the Steamtown Mall.

What documents do I need to apply for a Social Security Number?

  1. Letter from the Designated School Official (Shirley) verifying student status, fulltime enrollment, eligibility of employment.
  2. Keystone College Work Authorization Form (available in forms)
  3. I-20
  4. Passport (must be at least 1 year old), if not please bring other identification with photo and date of birth
  5. I-94

For more information about obtaining a social security number, visit the following website.