Information Technology Green Initiatives
The College technology infrastructure utilizes a significant amount of material and energy, and we are committed to responsible use of both. All technology products used by the College are properly recycled upon end-of-life, and we are working to reduce the energy footprint of both new and existing systems.
- All CRT monitors have been replaced with energy-efficient LCD units campus-wide.
- To conserve electricity, a nightly process is run to shut down all college-owned computers left on after office hours
- An Energy Star rated air conditioner was added to the main computer room to off-set the use of an older, less-efficient model
- Deployed server virtualization software that allows us to offer more services using fewer physical servers (lowering direct energy usage as well as cooling requirements).
- Established a print management solution to help computer users monitor their print consumption.
- Set up on-line access to many reports that were previously distributed on paper, and discontinued the high-speed printers that supported the paper-based processes.
- Used a rechargeable electric golf cart instead of regular vehicles for most equipment moves and general campus transportation.