Keystone, the Academy
Keystone Academy was originally chartered by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1868, with instruction beginning the following year in the local Baptist church in Factoryville. In 1870, ground was broken on the current site for the Academy's first building, Harris Hall, named after John Howard Harris, first president of Keystone. Harris Hall continues to serve Keystone College today.
The Academy flourished during its early years and established a standard of excellence that became a model in the area. Many distinguished scholars, among them the presidents of three universities, have graduated from Keystone.
A Junior College
At the time it was chartered, Keystone Academy was the only high school between Binghamton, N.Y., and Scranton, Pa. For over 65 years, the Academy served the secondary educational needs of the region admirably. Nevertheless, the school's trustees came to realize that a quality college education must be available to the citizens of our area. As a result, Keystone Academy was rechartered as Scranton-Keystone Junior College in 1934. Ten years later, the name of the College was shortened to Keystone Junior College, and in 1995 to its present form, Keystone College.
Growth and Vitality During the sixties and early seventies, Keystone experienced a period of unprecedented growth. At that time, many of Keystone's residence halls and its spacious library and classroom building, Miller Library, were built. The science building, Capwell Hall, was expanded, and the Hibbard Campus Center was added on to Evans Hall. Keystone's Thomas G. Cupillari '60 Astronomical Observatory in nearby Fleetville, Pa., also began operations at that time.
Keystone's growth and vitality continued in the eighties with the opening of the new multi-million dollar Gambal Athletic Center and the renovation of Keystone's historic Harris Hall.
Baccalaureate Degree Programs In 1998, the College received formal approval from the Pennsylvania Department of Education to offer baccalaureate degree programs.
In 2000, the College awarded its first baccalaureate degree and announced the receipt of its first million dollar gift. January 2001 marked the opening of the College's newest residence hall, Keystone Commons, the first new residence hall built on campus since Moffat Hall in 1970.
Academic Growth Less visible, but more impressive than its physical growth, has been Keystone's academic growth. Existing curricula are evaluated and revised regularly, and new curricula and degrees are added in response to changes in education and the workplace. Classes also are offered to adult and non-traditional students through Keystone College's traditional part-time program and the Weekender schedule, which enables students to earn their degrees by attending classes approximately every third weekend. In addition, holdings in Miller Library are increased annually, and the most recent educational technology is readily available to students.
Keystone College Today Currently, enrolling nearly 1,700 students, Keystone offers more than 40 degree options in liberal arts and sciences based programs in business, communications, education, fine arts, natural science, environmental resource management, geology, and social sciences. An independent, co-educational college, Keystone provides distinctive undergraduate programs grounded in a competitive learning environment that fosters integrity, curiosity, and civility. Keystone College students receive a comprehensive education with active and engaged learning opportunities that stimulate interests, improve skills, and ensure career readiness.