FERPA Directory Information Notice and OPT-OUT Procedure
- About Keystone
- Departments and Academic Divisions
- FERPA Directory Information Notice and OPT-OUT Procedure
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a Federal law, required that Keystone College, with certain exceptions, obtain your written consent prior to the disclosure of personally identifiable information from your education records. However, Keystone College may disclose appropriately designated “directory information” without written consent, unless you have advised us to the contrary in accordance with College FERPA policy. The primary purpose of directory information is to allow Keystone College to include this type of information from your education records in certain school publications. Examples include:
- A playbill, showing your role in a theatre production
- Honor roll or other recognition lists
- Commencement programs and news releases
- Sports activity sheets, such as for baseball, showing weight and height of team members.
Directory information, which is information that is generally not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if released, can also be disclosed to outside organizations without your prior written consent. Outside organizations include, but are not limited to, federal and state agencies offering jobs and educational benefits, media sources, companies that manufacture class rings or publish yearbooks, etc.
In addition, two federal laws require Keystone College to provide military recruiters, upon request, with your name, addresses, and telephone number unless you have advised us that you do not want your information disclosed without prior written consent.
Directory Information Opt-Out Procedure
If you do not want Keystone College to disclose directory information from your education records without your prior written consent, you must notify us in writing. For your convenience, please complete the FERPA Directory Information Opt-Out form and return it to the Registrar’s Office. Upon receipt, your information will not be released from the time of receipt forward. If directory information is released prior to receiving your opt-out request, Keystone College may not be able to stop the use of your information.
Keystone College has designated the following information as directory information:
- Full name
- College e-mail address
- Telephone number
- Date and place of birth
- Degrees and awards received
- Dates of attendance
- Most recent previous school attended
- Classification (first-year, sophomore, junior, or senior)
- Participation in College-recognized activities and sports
- Weight and height (members of athletic teams only)
- Enrollment status (full- or part-time)